This week, I fell for a girl. Literally.

Falling hurts. Falling on a bike going 20mph hurts even more. Late last week, I was riding my bicycle on the road after class (because it is by law illegal to ride a bike on the sidewalk and it was extremely busy on the sidewalks). I took a left turn when my light turned green, and as I was turning left, a girl decided to run out into the street. In order to avoid hitting her, I swerved out of her way and ended up falling on the asphalt going 20mph. Fortunately for me, the car behind me saw this and stopped about 15 feet away from me. Luckily no one was hurt too bad. I got up, picked up my bike, and rode it back to my dorm.

This rest of the week was quite eventful as well. Tours, classes, presentations, papers. Lots of work, lots of sleepless nights. Luckily for me, I did not pull an all nighter this week and actually managed to get about five hours per night. In Physiology, lots of students had their presentations and we all had to submit our research papers. For Physics, our lab papers were due as well. Along with that, we had possible pop-quizzes for Organic Chemistry and Physiology, which everyone was worried about.

I think that this program is definitely shaping me in a positive way. I have learned to better manage my time and become efficient at the art of eating-lunch-while-walking-and-studying method. This program is not only challenging, but supportive as well. There are SI sessions every Tuesday and Thursday, and many of the PA’s offer extra help at several times throughout the week. All the extra help is really useful and the students who take advantage of the extra help will surely do well if they are struggling.

One lesson I learned: no matter how hard you fall, no matter how tough things might be, you have to pick yourself up and keep going. As a wise man once said, “We fall so that we can pick ourselves up.”