Domelia Dewitt

My name is Domelia Dewitt. I am from Dudley, NC where I graduated from Southern Wayne High School in 2011. I attend the University of North Carolina at Charlotte (UNCC), where I am currently a second semester sophomore. I am majoring in biology with a minor in women’s and gender studies. I chose to major in Biology because although it was not one of my strong suits in high school, I found it very intriguing. I find Biology to be challenging but very rewarding due to the many questions about life answered. Biology is my favorite subject – there’s just something learning about mammals, reptiles, and amphibian’s body functions and structure that I find intriguing. Plus I love people and animals so it’s the best of both worlds. I enjoy running, reading, singing, and just learning and living life to the fullest. I see no need to live life sadly, but to enjoy life no matter what happens because trouble doesn’t always last.  I am the youngest of my siblings, so I have extra guardians/parents, but I love them dearly. I am very grateful for the support, inspiration, and motivation provided by each of my family members. Dr. Gee, my Biology professor, and his motivation and support led me to the S.E.P program. Thankfully, he sent me the information and encouraged me to apply. I am very happy that I did so. The S.E.P program is a great opportunity due to the various resources provided for the participants. I expect to enhance my knowledge in organic chemistry, physics, human physiology, and quantitative skills/biostatistics, which are all difficult courses needed on my journey to medical school. Some courses I have yet to take in college, so I expect to be at an advantage when I do take the courses at UNCC. The S.E.P. program staff is very friendly, and helpful along with the other participants. I am very excited and looking forward to this experience.